1. My first paid position in a museum is as Collections Coordinator for the Maidu Museum and Historic Site in Roseville. I was hired in the summer of 2008, but didn’t officially start until the summer of 2009. I had started as a volunteer in January of 2008 working with the then collections coordinator. She was planning on leaving in the fall of 2008 so I was pegged as her replacement and hired in the summer leaving enough time for a turn over (Burcaw # 1). She ended up staying on for another year, so I was technically an employee with zero hours. During the summer of 2009 it was decided we would divide the 8 hours per week allotted for that position. I was given 2 hours per week for probably 6 months. Luckily I didn’t take this job for the money. Now I am the only person with the Collections Coordinator title. I’m working 5 hours per week until the semester is over and then I’ll reevaluate.
Although zoos technically count as a museum, I decided against listing my zoo job as my first museum job. It wasn’t really a scientific institution accommodating research and so in my opinion doesn’t really fit the scope of museum definition. I was a volunteer at an AZA accredited facility a million years ago, but the story of how I got that gig is not at all interesting.
2. The job I chose is:
Curator (AAM job board)
Job Description
The Navajo Nation Zoo is seeking to hire one Curator to direct operations at our unique facility. Please note that although "Curator" is the official title, this position acts as Director of the organization.
The Navajo Nation Zoo is operated by the Navajo Nation Department of Fish and Wildlife, and is funded by the Navajo tribal government. The 34 year-old facility exhibits a total of 41 species, all of which are native to the Navajo reservation. Outdoor exhibits include bears, cougars, Mexican gray wolves, bobcats, raccoons, porcupines, golden eagles, and many more. Our indoor "Discovery Center" features reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates, as well as an indoor waterfall/pond, video displays, and a "kids corner." We also have a playground and are currently developing a petting area. We host over 40,000 visitors a year, including 2,000 visitors at our "ZooBoo" event and 6,000 visitors at our "ZooFest" event. The Zoo is certified by the USDA.
The Curator will direct all Zoo operations and oversee the facility and animal collection. S/he will monitor and enhance the cultural, educational, recreational and conservation programs at the facility. S/he will supervise and coordinate six full time staff members, including four zookeepers, one office specialist, and one educator. S/he will oversee the budget and seek external funds through the adopt-an-animal program, grant-writing, corporate sponsorships, etc. S/he will also be responsible for strategic and master planning, compliance with regulations and certification, working with support organizations, education and outreach, event planning, and more.
The Curator also serves as a program manager with the Navajo Nation Department of Fish and Wildlife, and reports to the Department Director.
Job Requirements
Minimum qualifications include a Bachelor's degree in Biology or related field, plus two years experience in animal husbandry, one year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity. You can learn more about the Navajo Nation Zoo at www.navajozoo.org and read news articles about the Zoo at www.mholdgate.com/news.
For more information, please contact:
Matthew R. Holdgate, Curator
Navajo Nation Zoo
928-871-6574
mholdgate@navajozoo.org
or
Gloria Tom, Director
Department of Fish and Wildlife
928-871-7063
gtom@nndfw.org
Applications will be accepted starting on April 27 and ending on May 10. Applications are only accepted as hard copies. Please mail original applications to:
Navajo Nation Zoo
PO Box 1329
Window Rock, AZ 86515
I chose this ad because it sounded the most “up my alley.” I really don’t want to be a museum director. In my experience it seems a little more paperwork and less fun work. I also chose this position because I like working in zoos, I’m qualified to work in this zoo, and I like the idea of bridging my interest in zoos and Native American culture. I understand that there is nothing in the description about Native American culture, but since I’d be working for the Navajo Nation, I’m assuming it’ll come in handy. My skill set is –
>13 years hands-on experience working with exotic and native species in a zoo setting
>10 years experience presenting wildlife education shows to a variety of audiences and using a variety of animals including, but not limited to, eagles, porcupines, amphibians, invertebrates and reptiles as listed above
>2 years experience as petting zoo supervisor overseeing 3-5 seasonal keepers per summer
>2 years experience working hands-on with event planners for both indoor and outdoor animal programs
Lab Hours 5/5
16 years ago
Yes, this job has HL written all over it. Would R move? Of course you'll have to fight Miranda for it.
ReplyDeleteR would not move to Arizona. Sacramento is hot enough as it is : )
ReplyDelete